Heyo! We are in the midst of Christmas Party season! I’ve already had one last night and I’ve got a total of THREE next week. As in, I am going to be out three nights IN A ROW. That never happens, ha ha. Anyway, as I was getting ready last night, I thought my makeup turned out really nicely and would be the perfect look for any holiday party on your schedule. I hurried as quickly as I could to snap some pictures while the light outside was still good! Unfortunately, I didn’t have the foresight to do step-by-step pictures like I’ve done in the past but I’ll describe as best as I can.
I’m just going to go through the steps on the eye makeup, but as far as the rest of your face goes I would suggest adding a highlighter on your cheekbones and maybe some light contouring if you have no visible cheekbones like myself. A good tip I picked up from Karen at makeupandbeautyblog.com is to apply your highlighter (either powder or creme, I prefer powder myself) first and then your blush. The highlighter will glow through the blush, making it and your face look more dimensional and like a glow from within rather than sitting on your face. If that makes any sense at all, hah.
- First step is to use an eyeshadow base. I’ve mentioned many times on here my love for Urban Decay’s Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin and I’ve used it here too. Seriously, it’s the best. If you don’t have a tinted primer, that’s fine, just use your favorite matte or shimmer base color shadow on top of the primer. The base color should be neutral and close to your skintone.
- On the lid of your eye, apply the shimmeryest, sparkliest gold shadow you can get your hands on. To give it a foiled, metallic effect, load up your brush with the color then spritz with a makeup setting spray and apply to your lid. I use ELF’s Makeup Mist & Set because it’s cheap and it works. If you don’t have setting spray, just spritz with water. The moisture will foil your color and make it more intense. Also, apply a little bit of gold to the inner corners of your eyes.
- In in crease of your lid, apply a medium matte brown shadow. The matte finish is key, as it will add depth especially if your eyes lack a noticeable crease or if you have hooded eyes like me. Take the color from your crease to just above, really blending out the edges with your brush. Take a little bit more of the medium matte brown and line your lower lash line from the outer corner to about a 1/3 of the way in.
- Using a darker matte brown shadow, apply it just in the crease from the outside to about halfway in. This will add even more depth and a little smokiness.
- Apply a neutral shimmer shade to your brown bone and finish with your favorite liquid or gel liner and lots of mascara. I used a black gel liner that had a bit of gold shimmer in it, but a jet black liner will look fab as well. Go for wings if you can (I’ve only recently semi-mastered my technique).
Here’s the product list, however I realize almost all the color products are pretty much discontinued limited editions. Oops. But it’s all pretty dupable! I didn’t use anything particularly unique in terms of color or finish.
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
- Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer
- MAC Matchmaster liquid foundation in 2.0
- Hard Candy Glamoflage concealer in Medium
- Nars Light Reflecting loose powder to set under eye concealer
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Light Plus
- MAC Sculpt & Shape Powder in Bone Beige/Emphasize (LE)
- MAC Blush in Crazed Imagination (LE)
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin
- Urban Decay Oz (gold eyeshadow from Glinda palette, LE)
- Urban Decay Naked and Buck mixed in crease (from Naked palette)
- Urban Decay Vengeance in crease (from Pulp Fiction palette, LE)
- Urban Decay Virgin on browbone (from Naked & Naked Basics palette)
- Nars Eye Paint in Baalbek for liner
- Smashbox Full Exposure mascara
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade in Medium Brown for brows
- Maybelline Great Lash in Clear for brows
- NYX Automatic Lip Liner in Red
- MAC Viva Glam Rihanna lipstick (LE)
- MAC Viva Glam Rihanna lipglass (LE)
If I can get my act together, I’ll try to post some fun NYE looks in the next week or so. I hope ya’ll have a great holiday!