So it seems the first big trend to come out of the 90s is the “grunge” look. Dirty, dark and messy with a heavy emphasis on smoky eyes and deep, matte lips, both in warm earth tones.
I know this trend has been around for awhile now, but I think it still has legs heading into the fall season. Going through my collection, I decided I wanted to do a look centered around Kat Von D’s Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita. I’ve had the regular bullet lipstick version of Lolita for years, it’s a warm dusty rose shade. The liquid lip version is much browner and darker on me. It’s a little intense, but I like the way it looks. I think it’s the perfect product to center around a 90’s style grunge look.
I think if I did this again, I would use less shimmery highlight and maybe contour a little bit more. It’s really hard to break the highlight habit! I like to SHINE BRIGHT LIKE A DIAMOND rather than smell like teen spirit. Obviously, since this is my version, it’s significantly more glam and not dirty. But anyway, it’s just inspired by the movement.
Here’s the product list.
- Covergirl Outlast All-Day Primer
- L’Oreal True Match Lumi makeup in W3 Nude Beige
- Maybelline Fit Me concealer in Sand (under eyes)
- Hard Candy Glamoflague concealer in Medium Light (spot concearl)
- MAC Mineralize SkinFinish Natural in Light Plus
- LORAC TANtalizer bronzer
- Wet N Wild Reserve Your Cabana highlight (center of forehead & under the eyes using a big, fluffy brush, on top of cheekbones using a smaller, denser brush)
- Clinique Cheek Pop blush in Cola Pop
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin (discontinued but here’s the reformulated version)
- Urban Decay Naked Basics palette (blend, blend, blend when working with matte shadows!)
- W.O.S all over lid
- Naked 2 in and above crease
- Faint in crease and lower lash line
- Crave in outer V and outer part of lower lash line
- Foxy on lid
- Venus on brow bone and inner corner
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion on upper and lower lash lines
- L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black mascara
- Anastasia Beverly Hill DipBrow Pomade in Medium Brown
- Maybelline Brow Drama gel in clear
- NYX Lipliner Pencil in Mauve
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita (make sure to exfoliate and moisturize your lips before using a matte liquid lipstick)
As always, thanks for reading! Let me know in the comments if there’s anything specific you want to see in future posts!